Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A friend was complaining to me about a speeding ticket the other day. I had related to him a conversation I had with the two teenaged drivers I have. I told them that if and when either of them gets a ticket, they should feel free to be mad, but only at themselves. Few people get tickets from obeying the law; most break it and get written up. So no matter how much of a smart alec the trooper is, or how rude he or she may be, or how long the lecture that accompanies the little piece of paper, the only one that caused the situation was the speeder, or stop sign runner, etc. Of course neither of them liked that, but at least both saw the truth in it. Back to my friend. He was complaining that like everyone, he had spied a "55" sign up ahead, and had started speeding up. On went the blue lights, off to the shoulder went my friend, and he got to contribute to the state. His defense was that once you see the sign, the limit is effectively 55, even if you aren't abreast of it yet. That didn't fly, but it got me thinking. If I'm doing 70 on the interstate, and see a sign saying "45", which happens all the time with road construction, what should I do? If I follow the trooper's logic I should continue at 70 until I get abreast of the sign that says 45, then start slowing down, right? Wrong! They want us to be doing 45 when we pass the sign. So let's go back. Why don't they want us to be doing 55 when we draw abreast of the sign coming out of a slower limit zone? I guess since they are the ones with guns, fast cars and judges on their side they can have it both ways. I just thought I'd point out that somewhere in there logic breaks down. I'm just saying. And for the record, it really wasn't me that got ticketed. I have a total of 4 - 2 at age 18, one at age 40, and one at age 60. If I'm still driving at 80, watch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment